What is ACAS Early Conciliation?
There is a lot of information available about the new ACAS early conciliation process. For this reason we have not repeated it all here. If you want to know more information about early conciliation, our suggestion would be to go to the experts – ACAS. They have an excellent website which you should visit: www.ec.acas.org.uk. If you are still reading this you therefore probably already know that:
- Before bringing a claim in the employment tribunal, employees and workers must contact ACAS and undergo mandatory early conciliation.
- Employers may be contacted by ACAS as part of this process, but there is no requirement for this to happen.
- The purpose of the process is to see if claims can be resolve before they are brought.
- The process lasts about a month but can be shortened if it is going nowhere or extended by two weeks if agreement might be reached.
- Once the process is concluded, employees and workers get a certificate which they provide to the employment tribunal. This allows them to bring their claim.